Do you have a spare room? Would you like to make a positive difference to a young person's life? Then Supported Lodgings might just be what you are looking for.
What is Supported Lodgings?
Supported Lodgings is an alternative to foster care and offers young people aged 16-19 the opportunity to live in a family environment but where they are given more independence.
Instead of being a Foster Carer you become a Supported Lodgings Host. As a Host you provide the young person with practical skills such as cooking, cleaning and budgeting which they will need when they move into independence.
Like fostering you would be expected to support the young person to access education or training. Some of the young people may be unaccompanied asylum seekers and you would also be expected to support them with any immigration or legal appointments.
Who are we looking for?
- People who have a spare room
- People who have spare time to support the young person
- People who want to make a difference to the life of teenagers
- People who have patience, energy and a sense of humour
There’s no ‘typical’ Supported Lodgings Host and all sorts of people can make great Hosts.
- You don’t need to have a big house
- You don’t need to have had children
- You don' t need to be a certain age
- You can be married, single, or in a same sex relationship
- You can be working or not working
As long as you’re committed to helping a young person to realise their potential, you could be what we are looking for and we would love to hear from you.
What support will I receive?
The young person will have their own social worker and/or personal advisor.
As a host you will receive;
- On-going regular support from the Supported Lodgings Co-ordinator
- A placement allowance of £180 per week
- Training opportunities
Read Lesley's story and find out what it's really like to be a Supported Lodgings Host.
I'm interested what happens next?
For more information about Supported Lodgings, just fill in our enquiry form or
Download the Supported Lodgings Leaflet (676kb)and find out more now.